On February 19, a very cold day, our group warmed the hearts of everyone at Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard with our donations. Thanks to Anne Bright and Lynn Carlson for joining Aviva Orenstein at the check presentation!
At our November 2014 meeting, we heard a passionate appeal from Penny Gaither and then we voted to support Middle Way House with our donations. What an appropriate way to start our fourth year!
Mark your calendar for our next meeting: Wednesday, February 4th, 2015, at the Bloomington Country Club. As usual, members and guests are invited to come at 5:30 for socializing. Our meeting will start at 6 PM and end by 7 PM.
Our next meeting will be held on Wednesday, November 5, at the Bloomington Country Club. As usual, socializing from 5:30PM-6PM, then our business meeting from 6PM-7PM. A few reminders about how we operate:
- You must be present and a current, paid-up member to be eligible to nominate a NFP.
- You may only write your own name on the nomination card – duplicate cards with the same person’s name will be discarded before the drawing.
- You may nominate one NFP per meeting. A successful presenter from a previous meeting is free to nominate a different NFP at any time, as long as she is present and her membership is current.
- Multiple nominations for any single agency are not only permitted – they are encouraged. It’s one of the best ways to ensure that your favorite NFP gets picked out of the basket. It also helps if all the nominating members have met beforehand to agree on talking points.
- If you cannot attend but you want your vote to count, send your signed donation check for $100 to the meeting with a friend, who can claim your vote card at registration and will cast your vote. Your friend can fill in the “payable to” line at the meeting after the winning NFP has been chosen.
See you soon!
August 2014 marked the last meeting of our third year in existence. As we look with optimism and enthusiasm towards another year of making a difference as a group, here are some milestones to celebrate:
- We have provided direct support to 12 local nonprofit organizations. You can see the list here.
- In May of 2014, we gave an even $20,000 to Susie’s Place – that’s the power of 200 women banding together. Our first recipient received $8,100, so we’ve more than doubled our membership numbers since our first meeting.
- The total amount we have given to local nonprofits to date is $196,200. Plus we’ve added more than $65,000 to the coffers of the Community Foundation of Bloomington and Monroe County. This means that in three years, our total giving has exceeded one-quarter of a million dollars.
- Even those nonprofits who are not chosen to receive our checks have benefitted: following presentations at our meetings, individual members have stepped forward to purchase items, or to volunteer, or to donate goods or money for nonprofits that they learned about through 100+ Women Who Care.
Onward to Year 4!
Please note our new mailing address for commitment forms, pledge checks, or quarterly donation checks:
100+ Women Who Care
101 West Kirkwood Avenue, Suite 312
Bloomington, IN 47404
Sandy Keller, the founder of My Sister’s Closet, gave an impassioned presentation at our August 2014 meeting. My Sister’s Closet was selected by the members for our support this time around. Check presentation to be arranged soon! Meantime, mark your calendar for our November meeting: Wednesday, Nov. 5, 2014, at the Bloomington Country Club. Social tie starts at 5:30; our business meeting runs from 6 PM to 7 PM. See you there!